As Dr. Amalia Tsiatoura explains “this non-invasive method, apart from its exceptional results in Cosmetic Dermatology treatments, is also applied for the treatment of hyperhidrosis, blepharospam, lazy eye, spastic paralysis, and migraine”.
The modern trend in aesthetic dermatology is the preventive treatment with Neurotoxin, in order to slow down the appearance of wrinkles and keep the face young and fresh for a longer period of time. Essentially, preventive Neurotoxin Treatment acts by reducing the secretion of acetylcholine from motor neurons and, consequently, slightly reducing the contraction of facial mimic muscles. Thus, fine lines are faded and at the same time the natural glow of the face is emphasized.
Preventive Treatment with Neurotoxin is suggested to be applied during the appearance of the first non-permanent fine lines. With timely application of the treatment, the establishment of permanent forehead and eye wrinkles is prevented. It begins to be applied at the age of 20-25 years, the age when the collagen of the skin begins to decrease, as fibroblasts reduce the production of collagen and elastin. This preventive treatment is recommended to be applied at an early age to achieve the desired results, while at older ages its effect is limited. The duration of preventive treatment with Neurotoxin is 4-5 months, after which it should be repeated.
What it achieves
The amount of solution used depends on the facial area, as we do not want to cause dyskinesia, but rather achieve a natural result.
Neurotoxin Injection Treatment can be applied for:
- Lifting the corner of the eyebrow
- Correction of the gummy smile
- A more youthful appearance in the cleavage area
- Lifting the corners of the mouth
What it is and how it is used
For more than 3 decades, Neurotoxin Treatment has been the ally of men and women in the battle against the signs of aging and the marks the expressions sooner or later leave on our faces, giving immediate and spectacular results. It is a minimally invasive method and gives spectacular results in eliminating facial expression wrinkles. It is the most popular aesthetic treatment and counts over 6 million applications annually.
Generally, wrinkles are lines that appear on the skin and their appearance starts early, from almost 20 years of age. Over time, however, wrinkles become more and more. Wrinkles are divided into dynamic and static, with the former being mainly due to facial movement, which is why we call them “expression wrinkles”, while the latter are formed due to gravity and facial relaxation. Apart from the time that does not leave the face unchanged, there are other factors that contribute to the appearance of wrinkles. These factors include heredity, sunlight, smoking, air pollution, diet, and hormonal changes.
In recent years, the method has been applied not only for the treatment and elimination of already established dynamic wrinkles, but also preventively in young people, in the early stages of the appearance of expression lines, in order to avoid their permanentization. It is the most popular and effective anti-aging treatment, against expression wrinkles between the eyebrows, on the forehead, on the neck, as well as around the eyes on the “goose leg”.
When applied to the face, the treatment targets the facial mimic muscles responsible for the formation of expressions and the wrinkles they create, causing their selective relaxation and reduction in mobility. In other words, it temporarily inactivates the mimic muscles that cause facial expressions such as anger, joy, sadness, surprise, etc. An example of the action of the mimetic muscles is that of the movement of the eyelids. The sphincter of the eyelids, as it contracts to close the eyelid, also causes the formation of radial wrinkles around the eyes. As a result, wrinkles and fine lines are softened without losing the natural expressiveness of the face.
Therefore, the application of Neurotoxin injections is done with very fine injections, locally on the muscles we want to relax. Injected Neurotoxin treatment is an almost irreplaceable method with amazing results.
Areas Of Application
Neurotoxin Injections are mainly applied to the upper face:
- Forehead wrinkles – Glabella lines
- Eye wrinkles (crow’s feet)
- Nose Wrinkles (Bunny Lines)
- Neck, Mouth & Lip wrinkles
- Marionette lines (Wolf Wrinkles)
- Neck Wrinkles (Neck Relaxation)
Neurotoxin Injection Treatment
What should I expect after the application of Neurotoxin Injections?
At Cosmetic Derma Medicine the treatment is performed by a qualified physician and adverse reactions are rarely observed. After Neurotoxin Treatment:
- Remain upright and do not lie down for the next 3 hours.
- Do not rub the area after application and for the next 3 days.
- Avoid using hot water and hot air on the application area for the next 3 days.
- Avoid vigorous physical activity for the next 3 days.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and aspirin for the next 3 days.
- You may notice slight oozing at the injection site, which is totally normal and completely reversible.
- Incomplete elimination of wrinkles is corrected at the re-examination which takes place 15 days after the session.
- There may be a temporary feeling of heaviness which disappears immediately.
More serious side effects such as eyelid drooping are extremely rare and the likelihood of their occurrence is minimized when the treatment is performed by qualified and experienced physicians in certified clinics
Does Neurotoxin freeze the face expressions?
This treatment must be performed exclusively by qualified Doctors in high-standard Clinics. In this case, applying the right dose in the right places brings out the beautiful features of the face without reducing or altering its expressiveness.
Is Neurotoxin Treatment dangerous?
Injection Neurotoxin Therapy has been used in medicine for over 35 years and has received full acceptance by the medical community. Its use poses no risk as long as it is performed by qualified Dermatologists or Plastic Surgeons. However, particular attention must be paid to the quality and quantity of the material used in order to achieve the desired results.
Are there other applications of Neurotoxin Treatment?
At Cosmetic Derma Medicine, the effectiveness of Neurotoxin Treatment does not stop at treating wrinkles on the face and neck, but is the most widely used treatment against:
- Primary Hyperhidrosis, preventing excessive sweating without affecting normal sweat production. After the treatment, the sweat glands cease to receive the stimulus to produce sweat. After 2-3 sessions the symptoms of hyperhidrosis are greatly reduced and the person regains his/her lost confidence.
- In Tension Headaches and Migraine, inhibiting the involuntary contraction of the frontal muscle responsible for certain forms of headaches. More specifically, it has beneficial effects in the fight against chronic migraine. In these cases, the effects begin to be seen gradually after 10-15 days and have a duration of action of up to 4 months. After 4 months, the treatment must be repeated. The discovery that Neurotoxin Injections act beneficially in the fight against migraine was made completely by accident in the early 1990s, when people suffering from migraines showed improvement after neurotoxin injections. This fact led scientists to study the phenomenon further and by 2010 it was considered an officially approved treatment for migraine. The rationale around migraine treatment is based on the fact that Neurotoxin Therapy relaxes the muscles and helps not only tension headaches, but also migraines as it reduces vasospasm.
- In Blepharospasm, also known as “twitching” of the eyes, which apart from causing discomfort to the person, can also lead to significant vision problems. It is believed to be caused by a malfunction of the eye blink control centre and often causes problems to patients, as it stops them from reading, driving or watching television. The occurrence of blepharospasm is more common in women than in men. With the help of Neurotoxin Injections, the normal mobility of the eyelids is restored and any problems are prevented.
- In Strabismus, in people who are expected to have surgery and until then, they need to deal with the problem. Neurotoxin Injections essentially achieve temporary paralysis of the muscle until balance between the two eyes is achieved. Treatment against strabismus is completely safe and poses no risk to the patient’s health. The duration of the procedure does not exceed half an hour.
Is it true that as the applications of Neurotoxin Injections increase, it “loses” its action?
Not only it “loses” its effect, yet when the treatment is done regularly (2-3 times a year), it increases its action without making the face look rough. Thus, wrinkles remain smooth and the skin more youthful for a longer period of time.
Ideally, the treatment should start at a young age (preventive action), as soon as the first wrinkles become visible, in order to prevent their permanent establishment.
How often should Neurotoxin Injections be repeated?
For successful action and optimal results, it should be repeated 2-3 times a year. More frequent application is not recommended, as the body begins to develop resistance to the treatment, compromising its beneficial effects.
Are there any side effects associated with the preventive Neurotoxin Treatment?
Due to the superficial application of the treatment, there are no side effects, as long as it is carried out by experienced, qualified and certified dermatologists or plastic surgeons. In rare cases, bruises may appear, which subside after a few days. There may also be a feeling of heaviness which subsides after a few days. Side effects such as eyelid drooping are very rare when the treatment is performed by a qualified medical dermatologist or plastic surgeon.
What should I avoid after the preventive treatment with Neurotoxin?
Although there are no restrictions and no recovery is required, after the treatment, vigorous physical exercise should be avoided for 3 days, as well as exposure of the skin to intense sunlight. Also, the patient should not rub the area after the injections and for the next 3 days, and should avoid using hot water and hot air in the application area for the next 3 days.
Why should I trust Cosmetic Derma Medicine for Neurotoxin Treatment?
At Cosmetic Derma Medicine, hundreds of treatments are performed every year with excellent results. The clinic’s medical staff is highly trained in Neurotoxin treatment application and is able to offer personalized solutions to every need. Educational seminars and workshops take place in our clinics every year in order to train new doctors on the subject of injectable treatments, while our clinic has been awarded internationally for its quality services in the field of Aesthetic Dermatology.